Sunday, November 8, 2015

Girls Play Video Games, Too, You Know

Video games aren’t “just for boys” anymore.

So, just the other day Gamespot came out with an article. And, not just any article. It’s an article about well, girls and games. According to this article, a recently conducted Pew Research survey found that women own more game consoles than men. Now, it’s by a slim statistical margin of 42 to 37 percent, but it’s still super important.

“But Danielle, why is it important,” you ask.

Well, dear reader, I’m about to tell you.

If you’ve been on the internet for more than five seconds, you have probably heard of the “fake geek/gamer girl”. This type of girl, as people say, fake the fact they are interested in geeky things (like playing video games), just for people’s attention. This type of girl, frankly, doesn’t really exist. (Sure, there are a few that would be like that, but surely we’ve all faked something about ourselves for other’s approval, but I digress.)

This trope exists because many people believe video games are a “boy thing”, like playing with toy cars, or the color blue. But, video games are actually an “everybody” thing. From children to adults to boys to girls and everything in between, anybody with an interest can play video games. And, these stats help prove that.

With women being the main owners of video game consoles, it shows that we have an interest in these things. We, as females, like “geeky” things. Growing up, video games were as a big a part of my life as breathing, and I’m sure they have been to so many other girls.

So, always remember, if a girl tells you she’s beaten every Pokémon game, you might want to believe her, because otherwise you’re going to be surprised when she beats you. 

4 comments:

  1. I like this post and and how it talks about female empowerment. I would add links to other blogs in this post to make it stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play games in online multiplayer and I do find girls who play games as well. These girls are pretty good at playing. I like the facts you put up there. Maybe make that first statistic picture in this post easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend had introduced me to a lot of games that I'm better than him at now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you support females playing video games because thats the opposite of what most people do.

    ReplyDelete