Thursday, October 22, 2015

Red vs Blue: It Isn't Just Black and White!

I apologize for the late post! It’s been quite the busy week.

"What team should I choose?"

This is a question many gamers ask themselves when starting a game. Today's video game choice will hopefully give us an answer.

From Mario Kart to Team Fortress 2, most games have red and blue teams. Earlier this year, Psychology Today posted an article titled “Red vs. Blue: Which Should You Choose?” In theory, the wins should be 50/50, right? Wrong. According to the article, the red team is more likely to win.


There is one game however, where the odds are reversed.

League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game where players compete as champions (characters on League with their own special abilities) in order to destroy the other team's defense structures. Players are not able to pick their teams. The blue team is more likely to win in ranked games.

I would have loved to have played a ranked game in order to see if the blue team actually won more, but ranked is only available for players over level 30. As a beginner, I had to play a normal game (the red team has a higher probability of winning in normal games).

League is not a game designed for beginners. It is very confusing and the games can last up to an hour long. Naturally, I got extremely frustrated and only played two games.

My boyfriend, Tim, and his best friend, Noah, are experienced at League of Legends, so they taught me how to play.

For the first game, we were on the red team. Apparently our team got a lot of kills (none of them were from me) and the other team surrendered, giving us the win.


That’s one win for the red team!

The next game, we were all on the blue team. This game was much more difficult, and after an hour or so of playing, we were defeated.

That’s two wins for the red team.

If I hadn’t gotten so infuriated, I would’ve played more games to better test my theory. Instead, I decided 2/2 wins for the red team was enough.

In the end, I decided that maybe there really is something to this whole red team-blue team deal.

The Game Theorists also made a video on this topic. If you have the time, I highly recommend watching it!


What do you think? Does the red team win more than the blue team in the games you play?

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to understand about the red and blue teams in gaming. I also like the gifs you put on your blog post. It makes the post feel alive. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete